More Than Chips: Entertaining With Flea Market Finds: Part 2

MY UPCYCLED BEVERAGE CART

Fully stocked cart
When I saw this kitchen cart upstairs in Palatine, I think it actually communicated with me. I felt some power of attraction and knew I must have it. It seemed lonely and out of place, never really having a true purpose in its previous life. I found out it had sat for years in a storage unit, left to fend for itself, receiving minor dings after it was purchased and deserted. A rescue mission by me seemed to be in order. After paying for it, I realized that this behemoth was definitely something to be reckoned with. It was solid wood and HEAVY! Luckily, it had wheels. I haphazardly rolled it onto the elevator (or did it roll me?) and placed it behind the front desk.

As I walked through the flea market, I received many approving nods from customers and vendors, because after all, although not an antique, this was a quality piece of furniture that just looked important. I think our vendors were happy to see me purchase such a large item, which possibly showed my support of their hard work. When customers see a large item purchased by a staff member, I think it seems to raise the importance of that item in their eyes. They think, "Why didn't I see that?", or  "It must be something good if one of the Wolff's bought it."

For the rest of the day, all of us behind the front desk walked around it and I heard various comments: Who bought that thing? What is that? What is Sharon going to do with that?  Where will she put it? That's big. That's really heavy. Yes, I knew this cart had possibilities; but what?

By the time I hauled Big Cart to my van (by myself), drove home, and interrupted my boys from Wii to lug it into the house, my creative juices were cooking. Never mind their comments, "Now what did you buy Mom?" and  "Is this going to be my the way by the computer?" When I have an idea, I really don't listen or even hear what people are saying about my plan and it's possible intrusion into their space. I just forge ahead and do it.

Here are the steps I took and the items I collected to transform Big Cart into a functional, attractive beverage station for entertaining:

Bottle opener with
waste container

  1. Applied 4 coats of clear varnish on top for protection and allowed it to dry for 3 days
  2. Placed an 18" x 18" scrap marble slab on top as a drink preparation surface
  3. Attached a metal bottle opener (I couldn't find a vintage one, so I purchased one at a restaurant supply store)
  4. Various white plates and bowls, all purchased at the flea
  5. Great snack food, also purchased at the flea
  6. Liquor, soda, ice bucket misc, supplies (not from the flea)
  7. At the last minute, I attached a stainless steel canister from Ikea under the bottle opener that served as a waste receptacle. It worked!
  8. As an added touch, I printed directions for a few cocktails

Click photo for 5 recipes
of popular cocktails
So, whose choice was it to bring this heavy, over sized cart into my house? The cart? Or me? Either way, Big Cart met with rave reviews at my party and hopefully I will be motivated to entertain more often in the future. Big Cart isn't going anywhere and has found its forever home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIRST TIME VENDORS AT WOLFF'S FLEA MARKET - PLEASE READ

VENDOR TIPS FOR WOLFF'S FLEA MARKET

WATCH YOUR WEIGHTS