DECORATING WITH FLEA MARKET FINDS - PLAYING HOUSE

Hanging around the Palatine market last Saturday, I was attracted to a set of old orange wooden cabinets. They were no beauties, but I was intrigued by their obviously secret past, of which they weren't talking. Roughly made, a little rickety, the cabinets may have graced a fishing cabin's rustic walls, or held preserves in an country cellar. Wherever they came from, they now calmly resided near the Sock Hop Cafe; affixed with $35 price tags. They seemed to convey the potential to belong on a screened-in porch attached to 100 year old frame home.  Remarkably, I instantly pictured connecting the cabinets side by side, affixing a piece of plywood across the top and then finishing them off with a pattern of terra cotta and cobalt blue tile. This side board would be home to a lucky bamboo plant, a tall glass of iced tea and a tray of Katherine Wolff's homemade mandelbread. The shelves would house citronella candles, a few good books and...wait a minute... I don't have a screen porch and my house is a 30 year old suburban home that is busting at the seams from previous my rescue projects. I don't even know what I was thinking.

So, I settled into the idea that it was just time to play house. With the help of the Rihani boys and a few borrowed items from vendors, I designed my imaginary creation. Here it is. All items are for sale at Wolff's Flea Market, Palatine. What would you do with these cabinets?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FIRST TIME VENDORS AT WOLFF'S FLEA MARKET - PLEASE READ

VENDOR TIPS FOR WOLFF'S FLEA MARKET

WATCH YOUR WEIGHTS